Children are cute but choosy. The topic they fuss over most is 'food'! It's important to feed them nutritious meals; so if you incorporate nutrition into their favourite snacks, you're sure to avoid the fuss! So, here are 5 delicious after-school snack ideas!
Starting small with banana chips. Every child (including the kid that lives on in all adults) loves snacking on banana chips. Rightfully so! It's crispy, salty, and sometimes even spicy! They're delicious, yes, but due to them being deep-fried, they miss the 'nutritious' memo. Instead of buying them, make them at home with an air fryer & cut down on 90% of its original oil quantity! They're the perfect after-school snack.
Hop onto the air fryer bandwagon for fried chicken as well! A fraction of the oil and a heap ton of flavour will satisfy the taste buds of any picky-eater! We have the perfect recipe for it.
They're every Indian's ultimate deep-fried dream. Crunchy on the outside, made with flaky pastry, and delicious aloo stuffing; it's sure to be the protagonist of any thali. Deep-friend is okay once in a while but if you have a foolproof way to keep healthy without compromising on flavour, why not opt for it? Air fry samosas for an after-school snack!
Protein-rich and delectable, these will be devoured during recess. The key ingredient in this recipe is the marinade, here's how to make it:
1. ½ cup Greek yoghurt
2. Juice of 1 lime
3. 1 tablespoon chickpea flour (besan)
4. 3 large cloves of garlic, chopped/smashed
5. ½” piece ginger, chopped
6. 2 teaspoons roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
7. 1 teaspoon chaat masala
8. 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder
9. 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
10. 1 tablespoon kasuri methi
Whip all this up together to make the delicious marinade. Coat paneer or chicken cubes with it, and let it marinate for 30 minutes up to overnight! Grill it on a grill frying pan until all sides are perfectly cooked. Serve with chutney!
We've covered a good chunk of primarily nutritious ideas. But now, pizza! You'll need pizza bread, sauce, toppings of your choice, and a whole lot of cheese. You can opt for ready-made pizza bread or make your own. Here's how you can do that:
Ingredients for the dough:
1. 2-2 ⅓ cups maida
2. 2 ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
3. 1 ½ teaspoon sugar
4. ¾ teaspoon salt
5. ⅛-¼ teaspoon garlic powder and/or dried basil leaves
6. 2 Tablespoons olive oil (maybe additional)
7. ¾ cup warm water
Method for the dough:
1. Combine 1 cup of maida, instant yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add garlic powder and dried basil at this point as well.
2. Add olive oil and warm water and use a wooden spoon to stir well.
3. Gradually add another 1 cup of maida. Add additional maida if needed. The dough will still be slightly sticky but it should be manageable with your hands.
4. Drizzle a separate, large, clean bowl generously with olive oil and use a pastry brush to brush up the sides of the bowl.
5. Lightly dust your hands with flour, form your pizza dough into a round ball, and transfer to your olive oil-brushed bowl. Use your hands to roll the pizza dough along the inside of the bowl until it's coated in olive oil, then cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and place it in a warm place.
6. Allow dough to rise for 30 minutes or until doubled in size. If you intend to bake this dough into a pizza, we recommend preheating your oven to 215°C at this point - so that it will have reached the temperature once your pizza is ready to bake.
7. Once the dough has risen, use your hands to gently deflate it and transfer it to a lightly floured surface and knead briefly until smooth (about 3-5 times).
8. Use either your hands or a rolling pin to work the dough into a 12" circle.
9. Transfer dough to a parchment paper-lined pizza pan and either pinch the edges or fold them over to form a crust.
10. Use a fork to poke holes all over the centre of the pizza to keep the dough from bubbling up in the oven.
Now, use this dough and our simplest ever pizza sauce as a base. Add cheese, and frankly, you could even just bake it at this point itself. Classic cheese pizza! If not, add more toppings such as capsicum, corn, broccoli, olives, onions, mushroom, chicken, paneer, tofu and much more of your choice. These toppings alone bring up the nutritional value exponentially. Bake it in the oven at 180°C for 20-30 minutes, until the cheese is gooey and the crust is golden brown. There you have it: the all-time favourite after-school snack.
These snack ideas will surely win you brownie points among Stanley and his friends!