How To Use Rice Cooker
Mastering the Art of Rice Cooking Using Your Electric Rice Cooker
Who would not want a pot that cooks food perfectly and keeps it warm until you are ready to eat? Electric rice cookers have slowly gained popularity as essential kitchen appliances because they greatly simplify cooking rice. These compact appliances take the guesswork out of cooking and ensure excellent results. Operating an electric rice cooker properly gives you perfectly cooked, fluffy rice every time without monitoring or draining any water. In this post, we explain how to use a rice cooker efficiently to get the most out of this versatile appliance.
How to Choose the Right Rice Cooker?
Before you learn how to use a rice cooker, you must choose the right one for your family. While there are several features and types to choose from, the first thing you need to consider is the rice cooker's capacity, as it tells you the amount of rice you can cook in it at a single time. To determine this, you need to consider the size of your family and how much rice is consumed in a day.
The next feature you need to consider is the number of cooking modes in the model. Some electric rice cookers have preprogrammed settings for different types of rice, gravy, soup and steaming.
Look for features like timer settings, auto-off, and keep-warm functions. You can also opt for electric rice cookers with steaming trays or baskets where you can steam vegetables and seafood or make dumplings. Doing so lets you explore the different ways how to use a rice cooker.
How To Use An Electric Rice Cooker?
Before diving into how to use a rice cooker, you must know the basics. The first thing to do is clean the rice cooker thoroughly. Ensure you clean the inside and outside pots to remove any dust or grime.
Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Use a Rice Cooker
While you can follow any given recipe, below are the basic steps on how to cook rice using a rice cooker.
- Measure the amount of rice you need to cook with the measuring cup that you get with the appliance, as it helps maintain the right rice-to-water ratio.
- Rinse and drain the rice two to three times to remove excess starch. Doing so helps the rice look fluffy when done.
- Add the rinsed rice to the inner pot of the electric rice cooker.
- Once you know the amount of rice to cook, add to the rice cooker how much water you need.
- Although the water-to-rice ratio depends on personal preference, it is generally 1:2 for most types of rice. Consider the recipe that you are making to choose the right ratio.
- Put the inner pot back into the rice cooker and put the lid on.
- Plug in the electric rice cooker and choose the desired cooking mode.
- If you do not want to select a mode, press the On/Cook button.
- The electric appliance will start cooking automatically and let you know when it is done.
- Electric rice cookers with the Keep-Warm function maintain the warm temperature once the cooking is done until it is ready for serving.
How To Use An Electric Cooker to Cook Different Rice Varieties?
To learn how to use a rice cooker efficiently, you must also know the cooking times and methods for different rice varieties. Mentioned below are the water-to-rice ratios for a few popular kinds of rice:
White Rice: It generally requires a ratio of 1:2, while it can take up to 15-20 minutes to cook.
Brown Rice: It generally requires a ratio of 1:3, while it can take up to 30-40 minutes to cook.
Basmati Rice: It generally requires a ratio of 1:1.75, while it can take up to 15-20 minutes to cook.
Jasmine Rice: It generally requires a ratio of 1:1.25, while it can take up to 15-20 minutes to cook.
Sushi Rice: Although a famous Japanese dish, it has become popular in India too. It requires a water-to-rice ratio 1:1, and the cooking time is approximately 15-20 minutes.
How to Use a Rice Cooker: Maintenance and Care
If you want to increase the longevity and performance of your appliance, here are some maintenance tips:
- Remove the inner pot after each use and wash it thoroughly. Use a gentle scrub to remove any stuck-on food particles.
- Never wash or scrub the exterior. Use a damp cloth to wipe any spills or stains.
- After prolonged use, some minerals may deposit on the heating plate. You can descale by using a mixture of water and vinegar.
- Refer to the instruction manual for the descaling process or other troubleshooting guidance.
Tips and Tricks On How to Use a Rice Maker
Below are some interesting tips and tricks you can try when you learn how to use a rice cooker to take your cooking to the next level.
- Soak the rice overnight or at least fifteen to twenty minutes to improve its texture and get fluffier rice.
- Rice varieties such as Basmati or Jasmine might require more soaking than regular rice.
- You can add spices, green chillies, cumin, etc., to make the rice extra flavourful and tasty.
- When the rice is done, allow it to rest with the lid on for a few minutes. Doing so allows better texture and moisture distribution.
- Once the rice has rested for a few minutes, fluff it with a fork or rice paddle.
- You can make various rice dishes such as pulao, biryani, coconut rice, vegetable pilaf, and other grains such as Oatmeal and Quinoa.
- Use the steaming tray to steam vegetables, dumplings and make stews and soups at the same time while the rice gets cooked.
- Explore various electric rice cooker hacks to make hot cereals, poached eggs, or even bake cakes.
- Serve the cooked rice as a side dish with your favourite gravies, such as dal or raitas.
Now that you know the convenience and comfort an electric rice cooker can bring to your daily cooking routine, you can explore its features and functionality to cook various innovative recipes and one-pot dishes. Use the tips and tricks mentioned above to understand better how to use a rice cooker and achieve perfectly cooked rice every time. Embrace the versatility and flavourful possibilities by trying out new recipes and unlocking the full potential of your electric rice cooker.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I cook different types of rice together?
No. It is not recommended to do so because while certain types of rice may require less water and cooking time, others may need more. Cooking different kinds of rice in one can result in unevenly cooked rice.
2. Can we reheat leftover rice in an electric rice cooker?
Yes, you can reheat leftover rice in an electric rice cooker. Ensure you add a small quantity of water to the rice before reheating it.
3. How long can we leave rice in the rice cooker?
Using the Keep Warm mode, you can leave rice in the cooker for twelve to twenty-four hours. However, there might be a slight change in the texture when left for a longer duration.